Sunday, September 12, 2010

Karela Masaledar


"Karela Masaledar" or Stuffed Bitter Gourd Masala is an authentic food from Punjabi Kitchen. It goes good with your Phulkas, Chappathis and Rotis.

I got the recipe from my Mamiji, who is a Punjabi and an awesome and fast cook that I have ever seen in my life. When I was doing my post graduation, myself and my mom made a trip to Adampur(Punjab) via Delhi. We stayed with them for a couple of days and those are unforgettable especially because of my Mamiji's cuisine. Know what I have no words to describe the taste and was lucky enough. I'm waiting when I would make such a trip..

Karela Masaledar was one of those dishes. Oh God! I had never tasted such a tasty dish in my life. Some more dishes that she prepared for us was Jeera Puri, Paneer Bhurji, Bhindi ki Sabzi, Cholae Paneer etc..It was like heaven on earth for a food lover like me..

We need to be very patient to prepare this dish. I tried this last week but I couldn't bring it to that taste of her's. Here goes the recipe for you friends..

Ingredients
Bitter Gourd - 5

For the Stuffings
Oil - 1 tbsp
Onion - 2 (grated)
Green chillies - 1
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Pepper Powder - 1/2 tsp
Amchoor Powder - 2 tsp
Corriander Powder - 2 tsp
Salt - to taste

For the Masala
Oil - 2 tbsp
Onion - 2 (sliced)
Green chillies - 1
Pepper Powder - 1/2 tsp
Amchoor Powder - 2 tsp
Corriander Powder - 2 tsp
Salt - to taste

Procedure
(1) Cut the corners of the Bitter Gourd and make a full slit and remove the inner part of it and keep aside.
(2) Remove the seeds if any and don't throw the inner part of the Bitter Gourd.
(3) Scrap the outer skin of the Bitter Gourd with a scrapper and keep it saide.
(4) To the scrapped skin and inner part of the Bitter Gourd add some salt.
(5) To hot oil in a pan, add the grated onions, finely chopped green chillies, salt.
(6) Fry till the raw smell is off and then add all the dry powders.
(7) Sprinkle very little water if required and saute till it gets dry.
(8) Allow it to cool & now our stuffing is ready to be filled into our Karela's.
(9) Fill the stuffing into each of the Karelas and tie it with a thread and see to it that our stuffing doesn't come out while frying it in oil.
(10)Shallow fry the Karelas in medium flame and remove the thread off the Karelas after it cools down.
(11)Heat oil in a kadai and add the sliced onions and fry till it turns light brown.
(12)Add the chilka (scrapped skin and the inner parts of the bitter gourd), chopped green chillies, pepper powder and fry it.
(13)Saute it for 10 to 15 min and then add the remaining dry powders.
(14)Saute it for another 15 min and sprinkle little water in regular intervals if required.
(15)Add the fried Karelas to the masala.

No comments:

Post a Comment